- To Prevent the issue of having to Grind Down / Gouge Out a Poor Weld (Re: Weld Repair ), or worse yet, have a Catastrophic Failure years down the line, Certification of Welders is Important
- This of course varies with project complexity / intensity, (A Welded Metal Sculpture a Few Centimeters Tall vs A Strutual Ironworker doing the I-Beams for a Children's Hospital, or the Saturated Steam lines in the Heat Exchanger in some Power Plant etc
- At a Low Level, checking for understanding of the basic Welding Processes and Welding Techniques , as well as a Visual Inspection etc should suffice
- At Higher Levels, Standardized Tests, most likely involving Weld Test Coupons and a Universal Testing Machine , as well as Overall Increased Quality Control during the actual construction/fabrication work will be needed
Current OSE Welding Exam
- OSE competency required is welding a solid seam for 1/4" and 1/2" steel, on high setting 2-5, Millermatic 200 welder.
- Also involves ability to replace welding wire.
- Also involves ability to replace shielding gas.
- Involves ability to replace, clean, and troubleshoot clogged liner. Test for free liner is 3 lb maximum moving friction force requirement
- Requires capacity of additive manufacturing, freeform, to build up a 3" diameter round or square 3D geometry as high as possible, on a square foot base plate. This tests for manual control, speed control, wire speed control, power control, on the highest setting possible.
- Timed experiment is a 4 minute weld to determine the highest additive height achieved, on an existing square plate.
The Millermatic 200 machine walkthrough -
How to do Spray Transfer
Protecting Threads on Welded Nuts
Video for beginners. This is what you can expect welding for the first time:
Replacing Welder Liner
Disassembly of MIG Gun to replace liner.
- AWS Certification
- Need to Determine what the EU and/or International Equivalent is (Re: ANSI vs ISO )
- Weld Inspection / Weld Quality Control
- Robotic Welding