Critical Elements of a Design Guide
- Purpose and Meaning
- Industry Standards
- How it works
- Why it works
- Basic physics and formulas
- Calculations - culminating with cost calculations
- Pattern Language - parts and their icons for CAD-BOM-Build
- Experimental MVP showing a working device with at least one element of its design including industrial-grade specifications
- Test - for students
Working Doc - Example
OSE develops technology and Distributive Enterprise. It does not end at specific technology and enterprise - but instead at a Construction Set Approach where we teach people how to design anything. The Design Guide - a manual on how to design specific machines and artifacts - is the knowledge set required for people to begin designing their own versions of anything. The goal is to culture a technologically and scientifically literate public, and to end Artificial Scarcity so that more people can begin to prosper.
A design guide is a set of principles that enter tin he design of physical artifacts. OSE's method of producing Design Guides involves:
- creating the Design Guide in a fashion that allows for rapid learning
- Producing an 80/20 rule design language that allows anyone to begin designing within 1-8 hours of taking on the study.
- Addressing design principles that break the Iron Triangle
- Addressing design-for-distributed-fabrication for building in distributed Microfactories
A comprehensive design guide may include:
- Part Libraries - proven technology elements that serve as further building blocks. When organized transparently in a gallery with direct download links, one can get started immediately.
- How it Works - basic explanations of the working mechanisms.
- Technology Tree of Choices - exposing the different ways that a design can be implemented, and pointing to the route that is the most OSE Specifications compliant. See Template:OSE Specifications
- FreeCAD Workbench - we have now created a FreeCAD Workbench Platform which allows anyone with basic programming skill to creating dedicated FreeCAD Workbenches for designing a specific machine.