I first found out that the term collaborative literacy was a thing from http://fasterthan20.com/.
Key Tenet for OSE Applications
The key tenet of collaborative literacy is that if everyone who wanted to make a better world could collaborate to make a better world for just one day, we would solve all the pressing world issues by tomorrow.
Stated in another way - if every person in the world would contribute just one hour in a single year to open source all of the world's knowledge, we would be done with all the R&D for OSE in one hour.
This recognition must be kept in mind as we go about solving all the pressing world issues.
The challenge - is coordination of effort.
In an incentive challenge - assuming that a prize grabs the world's attention - it is then the collaboration architecture that must be developed.
Collaborative Literacy Webinar
See the overview presentation on collaboration goals of OSE - and what it means to collaborate effectively.
Principles and Procedures
OSE is a project that follows certain standard procedures to enhance collaboration and Economic Time Binding:
- Publish early and often.
- If it is worth doing at all, it is worth doing badly.
- Publish on the wiki. The wiki is publicly viewable and editable, therefore anyone can have access to what you publish. If you send that information to a single person, then you have reached only a small fraction of your potential audience. Because we value open access to information, and because we have open boundaries to participation - publishing on the wiki is preferable to sending emails.
- Our near and long term goal is virally replicable, open source enterprise following the principles of Economic Time Binding. The social contract on Campus focuses around this.
- We are building a Construction Set, not a single product. If you like to think of a 'single product', that product is the entire Set.
- Subject matter expert, open source contributors lead the way. The project focuses on identifying and recruiting such contributors towards a greater goal than they could achieve themselves.
- Our methodology is open source, agile development.
- Our governance is based on meritocracy.
- We favor division of labor performed by multi-skilled generalists.
- Our human goal is to promote Integrated Humans who are aware of Self-Determination Theory.
- We believe that the most effective road towards peacekeeping is effective production. Progressive military people also believe this.
- We like to create tools. A tool can be used for good or evil. We are interested in tools that lead to regenerative development.
- We believe in 8 Forms of Capital plus the ninth one, Open Source Capital - defined as the wealth that comes from pursuing Distributive Enterprise
- We do not invent anything new. We study industry standards and build upon them to innovate on integrated, open source variants.
- We believe in a low-risk approach of building upon known solutions, rather than chasing for exotic new ones, because known solutions are sufficient to produce regenerative development at a modern standard of living.
- The proof of concept of the Global Village Construction Set is to demonstrate that a community of a dozen open source individuals can attain a modern standard of living using appropriate open source technology, up metal smelting and semiconductor production, from any parcel of land that has rocks, sunlight, plants, soil, and water.
OSE Development Best Practices
For those individuals who are involved in core OSE development, these are some of the best practices involved:
- Filling out Development Template content on an ongoing basis by putting in links to work product under specific development items.
- Familiarizing oneself with the information architecture of Open Source Product Development, and understanding the information architecture of the Development Template.
- Using their personal OSE Wiki Account.
- Logging work product in their Work Log.
- Creating critical paths for development work using the Critical Path Template.
- Defining a roadmap for their work using the Roadmap examples as a Roadmap Template.
- Getting involved directly in Distributive Enterprise workshop development, and transitioning to running such workshops as a way to support R&D relate to the OSE Roadmap.
- Participating in the OSE Workshops FB Group.
- Learning FreeCAD and participating in the FreeCAD Design Sprints by using the OSE FreeCAD Design Workbench.
- Psychology of Non-Collaboration
- OBI Webinar on Collaborative Literacy - Collaborative Literacy 101: How to Work Effectively in an Open Source Hardware Movement