Main Page Old
Open Source Ecology
See brief video introduction to our work - The Global Village Construction Set in 2 Minutes
Updates on the ground are found at the Factor e Farm blog.
Open Source Ecology is a movement dedicated to the collaborative development of tools for replicable, open source, modern off-grid "resilient communities." By using permaculture and digital fabrication together to provide for basic needs and open source methodology to allow low cost replication of the entire operation, we hope to empower anyone who desires to move beyond the struggle for survival and "evolve to freedom."
By our analysis, most of the technologies needed for a sustainable and pleasant standard of living could be reduced to the cost of scrap metal + labor. There is immense potential for social transformation once this technology is fully developed for building interconnected self-sufficient communities, since people will be freed from material constraints and able to seek self-actualization.
We understand that this is an ambitious task, but we have accomplished much and are making rapid progress. Factor e Farm is the land-based facility where we are putting this theory into practice. Our means of achieving these goals are meticulously detailed in the "Global Village Construction Set" and the OSE Proposal.
As far as we know, this is a one of a kind project, but we hope to change that. If there is indeed another project like ours, please tell us about it.
Get to know us
- The site map will give you an overview of all the content on this site
- Open Source Ecology: Factor e Farm in five minutes.
- Our weblog keeps you informed on what's happening on the ground floor at Factor e Farm.
- The Distillations videos give an overview. More videos on YouTube. More pictures at Flickr.
- Open Invitation to Visit Factor e Farm.
The tools under development are to help you! Please support Open Source Ecology through volunteering, spreading the word, donating (more info), or subscribing (more info). Any donation, big or small, can help. Thank you!
uid="marcin_ose" title="Open Source Ecology Wiki" description="Open Source Ecology is a movement dedicated to the collaborative development of tools for replicable, open source, modern off-grid resilient communities." category="text" language="en_GB" button="compact" />
As of September, 2010 - we have also had requests for larger donation options. Thus, we are creating the Gold, Gold Extra, Platinum, and Angel subscriptions - ones at $20, $30, $50, and $100 per month, respectively, in addition to the Standard subscription of $10/month.
- Find out what our current priorities are.
- For live discussions, visit our chat room or access it via an IRC client.
- For discussing projects please post on our discussion forums.
- See some more ideas on how you can help us.
- For the especially active, you can join the Build a Village Project.
- Feel free to log in and add research and content to the Wiki to help develop the Global Village Construction Set. Read the wiki instructions for help. See a list of all projects and their status and see how you can help.
Click the arrows to see another video.
- HABITAT: CEB Press - Sawmill - Living Machines - Modular Housing Units
- AGROECOLOGY: LifeTrac Multi Purpose Tractor - MicroTrac - Power Cube - Agricultural Spader - Agricultural Microcombine - Hammer Mill - Well Drilling Rig - Organoponic Raised Bed Gardening - Orchard and Nursery - Modular Greenhouse Units - Bakery - Dairy - Energy Food Bars - Freeze Dried Fruit Powders
- ENERGY: Pyrolysis Oil - Babington Burner - Solar Combined Heat Power System - Steam Engine Construction Set - Solar Turbine - Electric Motors/Generators - Inverters & Grid Intertie - Batteries
- FLEXIBLE INDUSTRY: Lathe - Torch Table - Multimachine & Flex Fab - Plastic Extrusion & Molding - Metal Casting and Extrusion
- TRANSPORT: Open Source Car
- MATERIALS: Bioplastics
(The projects in bold have visible progress.)