The OSE experiment is a decades-long experiment to determine whether a civilization with sound governance can be created on a micro-scale using abundant, natural, local resources. Or is it impossible because you need the resources of the entire world? If so, what is the minimum scale at which a functional civilization can be created, that allows the population to be educated regarding all the current mental models that work - without starting to build in defective practices and institutions? Ie, can we keep free of poor distribution of wealth, provide freedom, and happiness? Can such an experiment become a viable, highly replicable model for human development? The goal of the experiment is to determine the critical parameters for creating such enterprises. Among some experimental questions are:
- Who is the likely population - what age, intelligence level, skill level - that can bootstrap this? After a working model is demostrated, how can we iron out the kinks and make it a desirable place to live - without destroying the planet?
- How much land is required in the end state for a single enterprise - for it to become a viable and growing entity?
- Is a single enterprise as such sufficient to produce a cascade of global change to completely regenerate the rest of the planet?
- How does an enterprise like this develop a financial system of exchange? What does the financial institution that allows for global exchange look like?
- How much land area is sufficient to produce 100% of a society's needs? Our premise is that this scale is 1000 acres for a complete civilization, including various technology-enabled means of import substitution for a regenerative, circular economy.
- How much open design is required to enable the startup of a facility like this? It is our assumption that proprietary information would not suffice due to its gaps in efficiency.
- What mechanisms do we need to create to allow for low cost replication of facilities like this?
- In terms of starting an enterprise like this - what is a likely operational model and rollout plan until the first viable enterprise community that lasts, thrives, and grows?
- What time scale is required for startup, and how can this time scale be compressed?
- In terms of building alignment to build a community - what are critical skill sets and mindsets that the members must have?
- How is security and conflict resolution addressed internally and in case of invasion? What institutions are required? Easy solution is existence inside a secure jurisdiction.
- How does such a community play a role in terms of transformation of the world to a peacetime, prosperous economy - where war, poverty, and corruption are a thing of the past? What institutions are required to address these issues?
- What institutions are required for continuous learning and growth, such that bureaucracy, organizational inertia, and resistance to change become a thing of the past? Ie, how do we reinvent education and lifelong learning.
- What is the minimum-overhead technological infrastructure required to provide all technology needs, spanning all the way up to modern semiconductors? Can a structure as small as the Tower of Wisdom provide all the material and technological needs?
- Can a viable economy be created without Artificial Scarcity, and is such an economy sufficient to solve the centuries-long conflict between the classes?
- Is 1000 acres sufficient in size and resources to handle the import substitution of 100% of comfort, security, and progress that is otherwise found in civilization? What stockpiles, if any, would need for any rare substances that are indispensible to human prosperity - or could we substitute these completely as well?
- About $1B across key tech areas is allocated to open source civilization development, with detailed, proven blueprints for products and enterprises as the output.
- Definition of governance, finance, and operations of such an entity.
- Proposed $10k buy-in for a year from 2400 people provides $24M seed capital. Less than a college tuition. After the first one is done, we offer 50/50 work-study for people to pay their way for free. It's not free, as it requires learning.
- Different Mobile Equipment bases defined in Solving Pressing World Issues Forum of OSE are available as part of the open sector infrastructure for such a community - about $10M of equipment
- Prosperity and world peace at the cost of a commitment to learn.
- The community is the solution. After people practice its practices, they are actually contributing to regenerative development.
- We envision that a leadership will arise that works on solving pressing world issues.
- The base of the community is education, which is 50/50 work-study which produces open sector infrastructures.
- In the BOAB package, the customers do have to learn significant skill, but they are normal people and not movement entrepreneuers. They pay their dues through seed money for a regenerative infrastructure, including their maintenance of prosperity through a sound production contract. They work 20% time (1 of 5 days) while achieving absolute abundance (space faring, semiconductors level of technology). We can think of this as 80% of the people are the lazy bums, enjoying the fruits of modern civilization in terms of GBA (guaranteed basic assets) level. They can work more, as they have access to all education for free, and can choose to work more than 20%, so they can hang out at the beach all day, be artists and philosophers, or can continue to societal progress by engaging in lifelong learning.
- Contractual violation results in simple banishment (6 months), with chance to reform.