In the broadest sense, collaborative design is the design of systems and institutions that do not rely on scarcity-based value models.
What is true collaborative Design?
True collaborative design produces professional grade results in that it carries out a formal development methodology of product (of any kind) based on industry standards, using a completely transparent and open process. I allows anyone to join regardless of skill, as there are many levels of involvement, it features Economic Time Binding, and it works toward Economic Freedom. The natural outcome is thus solving Pressing World Issues.
This is related to the Extreme Enterprise Hackathon, which is OSE's large-scale manifestation of collaborative design. Thousands of people contribute meaningfully. But the value has to be significant and MTP, BHAG - at the same time very simple: collaborative creation of genius. It must inspire, it must produce tangible results. This can and indeed should be transfered as general practice to white collar workers, as earth transitions to Homo Sapiens Collaboratus. Some of the things of high value are:
- Mindset of scarcity vs abundance, in how this affects business and planning decisions.
- How to expand the time frame of one's enterprise thinking, without going out of business before that.
- Where collaboration already exists, and where is it sorely missing. Opportunities from this insight.
- Learn the basics of effective communication - via value addition through Distiller Video. Thing of crude oil gushing out of the ground on one side, and perfume + lady on the other.
- How to convert incentive challenges such as HeroX to collaborative
- Practical, open source tools for design, part libraries, and repositories that allow anybody to learn to design like a pro within hours.
- Widely accessible tools for organizing contributions of thousands of collaborators. Critical elements of the toolset, such as logs, development templates, taxonomies, design guides, part libraries.
- Collaborative video protocols that get professional results
- Mixing real and virtual with gaming, but not design of trinkets, but of real-world design that shall be built.
- Basics of collaborative literacy: the obvious principle of collaborative development. The critical question: how to address collaborative waste.
- The psychology of collaboration: privacy, vulnerability, self-esteem, growth mindset, and psychopathy.
Collaborative Design Guide
OSE involves all collaborators in a formal process marked by:
- Documention for Time Binding and Economic Time Binding
- Development Templates - breaking down the entire product development process and enterprise development process into its parts.
- Large-scale collaborative design via appropriate Module Based Design, Collaboration Architecture, under principles of transparency embodied in Collaborative Literacy
- Essentially, using transparent tools (open source software/hardware), a transparent process (wiki + work logs + Development Templates, towards Distributive Enterprise and Distributed Market Substitution towards solving Pressing World Issues.
- There is a framework for development with various principles that can be operationalized.
- All tools, processes, and outcomes are open, open source, collaborative, libre.
- Design follows specifications, the OSE Specifications
- All product development is useful to Distributive Enterprise
- Natural outcome intent is Distributed Market Substitution
- Natural sociological outcome is Economic Freedom and the creation of democratic society
- Natural outcome is solving Pressing World Issues as a byproduct of natural resource stewardship. This is effectively Regenerative Development
- For a large collaborative process, complete CAD, BOM, Icon, Video, Instructional is required in digital form. Enterprise is a derived entity.
- What does reconciliation mean below? It means that 'it agrees with' or 'is another way to represent' or 'can be derived from'.
- Dev Team, Collaborators support CAD-BOM-Icon-Instructionals-Vidoes-Enterprise reconciliation.
- CAD gets build procedures, and animations.Both FreeCAD and SweetHome3D output can be rendered as walk-through videos in SweetHome3D.
- Videos translate CAD into reality - we can composite reality and CAD at all phases
- CAD translates to build procedures, Videos reconcile with build procedures
- BOM reconciles CAD
- CAD/BOM/Icon are fully reconciled.
- Video derives build time, assuming video is comprehensive and frame rate is known.
- BOM and Video derive cost - because cost is materials cost + time it takes to build.
- Instructionals can be created from Videos - pending insight on BOM/CAD.
- Every single tool and part and supply should be included in CAD.
- Layers of CAD (fasteners, structure, utilities, etc) inform build diagrams and procedures.
- Free Agents
- Unskilled people can take raw footage and convert it to Video Gallery. Base level of edit is cutting out dead space in videos.
- Skilled free agents can take BOM/CAD, and create animations for procedures or promotional videos
- Skilled agents can take instructional text and turn it into animated text for compositing - aka Kinetic Typography.
- Sound people can create a gallery of sweetener (sounds to enhance videos) - OSE Sweetener Library
- Totally integrated development reconciles CAD-BOM-Icon-Instructional-Videos-Enterprise-Explanatory Diagrams.
- Free agents create Process Icons - for publishing sections, diagrams, wiki sections etc.
- Style guide - fonts, colors, icons for book. This would be a publishing template.
- Work Log, Product Links, Time Log, Wiki, Docs, FreeCAD, Kdenlive, Inkscape, Blender, KiCad, OBS Studio are main tools used.
Proprietary tools are being created, but this can all easily be open source as large, open, complex product ecosystems can be created only in an open collaborative environment - by definition. Open source comes in handy when it comes to integration.
Check out the proprietary vision that is to be open sourced:
- Collaborative Design 2023
- Extreme_Enterprise_Role_Architecture#CAD_Role_Architecture - on CAD-BOM-Icon-Video-Instructional reconciliation
- OSE Vision
- Competitive Waste
- Collaborative Waste