3 Month Prototyping Plan 2013
Note: we are focusing on CNC Torch Table, Microtractor, Bulldozer, Ironworker, Backhoe, and Car.
Note: 6 prototypes are planned for Q2 2013. Could achieve 7 if Trucktor is outsourced to GrabCAD. If negotiations go well, we can secure up to 9 prototypes, and if small CNC machines go well, we could have 12 prototypes, one each week - assuming full time commitment by 3 full time staff + documentation support.
- 1-CNC Torch Table - Gecko G540 or Steppernug or Pololu on existing CNC Torch Table Prototype I and specifically OSHW-OSE-CNC Torch Table-v1. Add Router Module and Laser Module + 3D Printing Module for large-scale objects. Currently uses 3x geardown on dual 425 oz in motors on main axis.
- 2-Microtractor - small version of tractor, requires wheel module coupling to frame - Tractor_Construction_Set#Power_Cube_Construction_Set. Start with Sketchup part drawings + CAM generation via export to LibreCAD dxfs + Mike Hill Plasma Table until we get our CNC table up and running.
- 3-Backhoe - see Backhoe Log for concept version - 50% of design done. See concept Tractor_Construction_Set#Pivoting_Joints_2
- 4-Bulldozer - same as tractor frame requires Geardown Module and 6 Way Blade Module, and 50 hp Power Cube. Tractor_Construction_Set#Power_Cube_Construction_Set. Go GrabCAD.
- 5-Ironworker Machine - see Tractor Construction Set#Scalable Ironworker Machine
- 50 hp Power Cube - would be good also for bulldozer; needs addition of hydraulic drive to mechanical drive. Air Cooled 1600cc VW Engine is best candidate. See Team Wikispeed TEDx talk and Wikispeed Modularity - use their steering + suspension on the front, our suspension on rear drive wheel. Innovation: 3D printed body panels+modular hydraulic drive. See Tractor_Construction_Set#Scalable.2C_Open_Source_Car. 3D printed body like Urbee.
- 7-Truck + Trucktor - similar to tractor frame - add MacPherson Strut Module. Go GrabCAD. Like Unimog.
Rapid Prototyping Tier
- Rapid Prototyping. Modify for a combination 3D Printer - Circuit Mill - Laser Cutter?
- 3D Printer - Lulzbot. 3D Printer Productization Assessment. Used in prototyping of Tractor Construction Set.
- CNC Circuit Mill - Shapeoko working candidate prototype. CNC Circuit Mill Productization Assessment. Possible route - Lulzbot/Shapeoko hybrid. Shapeoko as 3D Printer has already been achieved, now we can add open source toolchain. Build and start milling OSE CEB Press controllers.
- Laser Cutter - Lasersaur is to be improved upon. Laser Cutter Productization Assessment. Laser Cutter as 3D Printer has already been achieved, we may want to do this for open source car panels similar to Urbee. Record build of Lasersaur is 3 days. Potentially get Husam (May 10) to build it.
Potential Designs from Collaborators
- Hadden Engine - Modern Steam Engine. Terry from SACA has built one, contact Tom Kimmel. Get a 3D Scan first, such as 123D Catch.
- Dobson Gasifier - if negotiated
- CNC Multimachine - Chuck
- 50 kW Wind Turbine]] - Eric Lang
- Electrical grid - buried cable
- 1 or more CEB/WikiHouse houses to be built to satisfy Kickstarter reward and to provide at least 1 staff house. See Microhouse 2013 Discussion.
- Biogas Digester
- Involve Product Lead, Documentation Manager, Tech Community Manager aggressively mid-month
- Plan first Design Charette for June 1, 7, build 14 and 21.
- Video (sketch tablet + animation + icons) explainer on plan by Rob Kirk
- Sketchup -> 2 Laser Cutter -> CNC Torch Table, or Sketchup -> 3x 3D Printer -> CNC Torch Table; also, CNC Circuit Mill to copy all electronics
- See Modularity for general pattern language