Main > OSE > Guiding philosophies
An 'integrated human' is a generalist working towards developing their skill set in all areas of human andeavor - to become a whole person and a steward of the world around them.
Becoming whole encompasses the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. This person is driven by autonomy, mastery, and purpose, based on the highest good of all. In practice, such a person is striving to make the world a better place by working on Pressing World Issues in a substantial, long-term way via Movement Entrepreneurship - building their skill sets to have significant impact on improving humanity's role in the universe. Or, at the very least, not contributing to terror via silence or acquiescence to the status quo, in the role of Radical Man. Psychological maturation - or becoming whole - as in Self-Determination Theory  - is a prerequisite. An integrated human understands the value of stepping out of silos and taking on a holistic approach, tackling issues from all disciplines in a way that each discipline informs another to provide better solutions. This involves finding bridges between mental, physical, and spiritual approaches, observing that these are just different aspects of the whole, and never in conflict with one another. The integrated human approach is open and collaborative, as informed by a fundamental recognition that We Are All In It Together, There is No Us or Them. The integrated human pathway is based on understanding communication, as in General Semantics, to avoid creating divisive Propaganda, bu negotiating faulty Mental Models, and thus immunizing oneself and society from Political Ponerology. An integrated human is thus on a core path of personal and political transformation. An integrated human can operate on a wide range of time and space scales, in order to maximize their positive impact upon the general direction of society - over the long term.
What is all the existing knowledge around the topic of integrated humans?
- Ken Wilber's Integrative Transformative Practice is an integrative practice largely along cognitive and spiritual routes
- Systems Thinking or Holistic Thinking - this is about an integrated perspective when examining problems, to determine connections between seemingly disparate areas
- A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -Robert A. Heinlein
The integrated human recognizes their body as a part of their person (not the sum). They are intentional to maintain the level of health necessary to have a positive impact upon the world.
- Healthy Nutrition. Food is your medicine.
- Quality sleep and rest
- Physical Fitness
- Flexibility, Agility, Endurance, Healthy body, healthy mind
- Ability to engage in intense activity AND deep relaxation. Understanding when rest or intense activity are needed, and being able to switch readily between these two states as needed
- Hand-eye coordination
- Understanding the implications of the Time Scale of Human Regeneration - in that diligence can build the body, fix crooked bones, and even fix a broken mind
- Open mindedness and humility. Lack of ego that allows one to learn constantly. Curiosity as opposed to a know-it-all attitude.
- Thirst for Knowledge that enables lifelong learning, such that getting older means getting ever wiser and more valuable to the community
- Critical thinking, Researching skills
- Integerated humans consider both Positive Psychology and Positive Disintegration as valid approaches to useful insights
- Willpower to do physical and mental work to get things done
- Awareness, insight, and intuition
- Desire for self determination. See Self-Determination Theory.
- Acceptance of Abundance as a way of life as opposed to Scarcity, Greed and Theft. See Artificial Scarcity.
- Knowledge or intuition of how the world works
- Follow the golden rule, treat others as you would wish to be treated
- Forethought, good judgment
- Able to work independently or to cooperate with others
- Focus, concentration, mental discipline and positive inner dialogue. An inegrated human drives themself sane by studying and applying the knowledge of General Semantics in order to create a high level of Mental Hygiene.
- Appreciation for modern neuroscience, which indicates that both Personality Changes Over Time and Character Changes Over Time. Thus, there is no such thing as 'asshole for life' unless they indeed choose to be so or are psychopaths.
- High self-esteem. Self assured, not dependent on what others think. Understanding both one's importance and immortality, and one's trifling insignificance. See more at Nathaniel Branden for a 20th century perspective on self-esteem.
- Respect for a collaborative approach, to the point of Working Openly, collaboratively, and accepting Open Source Development as a natural choice because of their ability to handle vulnerabilty to external feedback. This stems directly from one's worth and self-esteem, and leads to Ethocracy.
- Aims for Nonviolent Communication
- Emotions are controlled, they do not control
- Empathy and Compassion
- Respect for one's self and others
- Independent but Cooperative.
- Productive mindset, as opposed to a consumer mentality.
- Able to honestly change mind based on facts, not hung up on ego attached to something.
- Resilient "survivor" personality, able to thrive in challenging conditions, as opposed to turning a situation into The Lord of the Flies situation
- Accepts other people as they are, no one can force another to change, individuals can only change themselves
- Looks past the superficial surface of things to try to see the core, the true nature
- Can take direction, can give direction
- Mindset capable of seeing the big picture, and a connection to something much greater than oneself. Seeing one's role within the universe.
- Characteropathy, sociopathy, and psychopathy are real, and an integrated human studies how they affect the creation of macrosocial phenomena. Seminal work on this topic is Political Ponerology.
- An integrated human is very spiritual but not overly religious (different than but compatible with religious)
- An inegrated human develops good intuition, informed by knowledge
- Meditation or reflection. Creativity comes from silence.
- Understanding that peace is a choice, not an ideology
- Understanding that scarcity is a mindset, not an absolute condition
- Develops their capacity for Sublimation and inner work that allows one to Transcend and Include.
- An IH has a healthy balance between spiritual vision and practical execution, founded on unlimited possibility - but backed with real opportunity.
- An IH uses the Kardashev Scale to inform their actions over their lifetime
- An IH is on a path of becoming psychologically whole, and improving over their entire life
- Skilled in Collaborative Literacy
- Ability to conceptualize, calculate, design, build, asssess - all in one.
- Skills of effective management of resources
- Ability to provide ethical leadership, with sound governance and operations
- Ability to manage an organization or enterprise
- Ability to build things in their mind, and to translate these ideas effecticely into reality
- Literacy and Numeracy, and more belief in science than magic.
- Appreciates Dunbar's Number and the Gini Coefficient in the design of their economic life