Summary: OSE is interested in serving the function of a quality control and standards organization for open source products that OSE develops. This is intended to provide uniformity via transparent quality control standards, developed within the community.
OSE is interested in using existing certifications, such as UL/ETL/CSA (see ) - and likely creating our own specific to distributed production protocols. Great room for innovation and cost reduction.
- Seed Eco-Home Builder Certification
- Welding Certification
- 3D Printer Sourcing Certification
- 3D Printer Build Certification
- 3D Printer Kit Certification
- OSE Certified for the Open Source Everything Store
Introduction - 2020
OSE sees itself as an education, training, and standards organization for open source economics. Certification may apply to licensing of the OSE brand, products, kits, education programs, or other activities. As all of OSE's work is open source, we encourage independent, license-free replication and enterprise activity under CC-BY-SA and GPL licenses. If you would like to work under the OSE brand, you would need certification. Certified products carry a label for transparency, where the customer can find out detailed information on the 'ingredients' of various products. This is done for the purpose of enabling others to build on and to replicate OSE's work - especially for distributive economic goals.
The OSE certification, posted as a QR-inclusive label for more information - is not a blanket certification. It is specific to the product, as as such is not a generic label, but more in the nature of an 'ingredients label' that provide information about product design, how it is made, sourcing, education about the product's design, and access to training for replicating an enterprise to build that product.
An OSE-certified product may contain 3 ingredients: 1. OSE brand label. 2. OSE Product Label - this is like the ingredient list of a food product, listing all components or how they are made, for transparency. This includes a clear product version, place of manufacture and producer information, and any performance data available for the product. 3. QR Code - that provides a BOM-Quality CAD for any user/developer to work from. This is useful for further design, visualization, education, and marketing assets to be created. The QR code also links to functional diagrams using the Open Source Technology Pattern Language.
Naturally, maintaining and updating all assets requires a lot of effort, and it is the purpose of the collaborative franchise to develop and maintain all these assets. The point of remaining in the franchise is to have access to the brand for marketing purposes, to use OSE's marketing power to drive sales, to make ongoing improvements. Franchise collaborators undergo a yearly certification, with a reasonable franchise fee, to continue direct involvement in product improvement. One of OSE's hallmark values is lifetime design - and as such, component test data will be one of the responsibilities of each collaborator. This is part of a robust feedback loop strategy. The OSE Distributive Enterprise Agreement spells out the duties and responsibilities of being a licensed OSE producer and collaborator. We envision a new type of organizational form that replaces the standard corporate form of centralization to a distributed and open collaborative.
Another important element of product improvement is Technological Recursion all the way to abundant feedstocks. Collaborators will be tasked with such elemental improvements to the system, so that full open source knowhow and practice exists for making each component. This includes making circuits from components, down to rolling steel, fabricating precision parts, and eventually making semiconductor materials in house - using fully open source hardware and software toolchains.
The end goal is simple - Distributed Market Substitution of all economic sectors, and a transition of the economic system from proprietary to collaborative. This is consistent with the OSE Vision - of collaborative design for a transparent and inclusive economy of abundance.
Our wares our local. That is our promise for licensed countries.
- Made in China - for the Chinese market.
- Made in America - for the American market.
- Made in India - for the Indian market.
- Made in Indonesia - for the Indonesian market.
- Made in South Africa - for the South African market.
OSE is inviting producers in each country to sign up and lead the production effort in the specific country under the OSE brand, as a collaborating, licensed producer:
- 60 -One producer in each of the 60 states of North America.
- 100 - About 100 more producers in any other country.
If there are multiple producers in each state, we will pair them up as collaborators to run the local enterprise.
OSE believes in local production, so we do not intend to ship from the USA to all over the world, but instead have national branches take care of other areas.
The main incentive for distributed chapters is to address R&D costs for ongoing improvement, leading to a transition from a proprietary to a collaborative economy, consistent with -what we consider inevitable - Distributed Market Substitution. Typical R&D costs are 3.5-7% of revenue. By participating in the OSE effort, collaborators address the ongoing R&D costs towards the Open Source Economy and Economy of Affection. There are training, marketing, production development, financing, and other benefits of being in the collaborative.
Applying for the OSE license involves training and an application. OSE offers Mentorships with the Founder, Summers of Extreme Design-Build, Workshops, webinars, and other learning opportunities to get there. Contact info at opensourceecology dot org to inquire.
For the 3D printer, the critical competency areas for OSE investing in potential producers are defined as the technical skills needed to build, use, and troubleshoot the printer - as well as an entrepreneurial mindset that considers effective productivity on a small scale. To the point of understanding a clear value proposition that the OSE 3D printer offers. Thus, the competencies are tested and documented unambiguously by competency that can be evaluated remotely:
- Ability to build the 3D printer and document its build, such as time lapse video for parts printing, time lapse of overall build.
- Demonstrated ability to source parts, including the correct rods, bushings, and extruder parts. Identification of the correct part, based on specifications, from multiple choices from various supply chains. For example - ability to explain which heat break to use and why. The same should be done for any part. This means understanding about 1-2 paragraphs on part features, and another paragraph on substitutability by other or self-made toolchains.
- Demonstrated ability to correlate the BOM-Quality CAD to a BOM
- Ability to describe all the connections on the RAMPS controller board, which enables correct and unambiguous wiring of the controller. Ability to extend this to other components.
- Ability to describe the production of each part, and the time it takes for each.
- Setup of a production facility, with every tool and work station for each part.
- Fabrication Diagram - Understanding of a fabrication facility for the 3D printer, including the parallelizability vs sequentiality of each part built.
- Ability to producing and shipping at the level of 20 3D printers per month. Detailed ergonomics data for the build of 1 printer kit.
- Ability to package the kit.
- The OSE Immersion Training program is designed to train individuals to run XM Workshops with full time involvement in OSE, or as independent collaborators who collaborate on a contractual basis.
- The certification evaluation for OSE Fellows-in-Training (FITs) or anyone running OSE workshops - is FIT_XM_Evaluation
Initial Thoughts from 2012
Certification for Products
Products must meet transparent certification criteria that are product-specific.
Certification for Extreme Manufacturing Workshop Social Production Model
Workshops must meet OSE criteria for efficient, immersion-training-based, one day, social production standards. These follow OSE Specifications and will be defined clearly.
Power Cube Certification
- OSE Certification
- Power Cube Producer - Tom Griffin from Texas, 1st replication, aiming for OSE Certification.
- OSE provides Marketing assistance, publicize in our networks
- He is contributing back to the community.
- OSE License relates to the OSE Specifications, features the OSE products embody.
- Certified people will comment and describe how their product meets each point of the OSE Specification. It will be transparent for the user if he gets a product from somebody else or us, so he know exactly what he is getting, particularly on a life-time design and modularity aspects of our equipment. The world benefits by knowing what they are getting into, and the certified producer benefits by the having access to our marketing channels.
- OSE License is for building a distributing economics. It is not for us building an empire, but for us distributing as much productive power to everybody out there as possible.
- To support the open sourcing of civilization, the producers would contribute a reasonable amount back to the OSE project, like 3%, we will have to decide on that, we don't want to overtax them, but a little kickback to the project to continue further open source development.
- We will custom design these agreements, it will on a case by case basis.
- With this OSE distributive economics license we focus on the fact that whoever is a producer is documenting the work completely, meaning the bills of materials and designs and they will pass our mark only when they are truly bringing about distributive economics for the whole world to benefit with. And that's a beautiful package that nobody can disagree with, that can get a lot of public support on many fronts.
- That's about the OSE License, we will keep developing it, as people get on line to produce it we hope to have people actually funding the project through donations back to the commons in terms of developing further open source goods.
- Power Cube Producer - Tom Griffin from Texas, 1st replication, aiming for OSE Certification.