Seed Home 2 Product Strategy
- 1 December 2020
- 2 Books, Education, Kits
- 3 Expandable, Reconfigurable House
- 4 Products
- 5 Products Summary
- 6 House Support Package
- 7 Video Specification
- 8 Build Product: the Easiest Build Possible
- 9 Incentives for Success
- 10 How to Define the Product
- 11 OSE Service
- 12 Shape Options
- 13 Beautification Budget
- 14 Links
- 1-Collaborative Design
- 2-Digital economy
- 3-Experience economy
- 5-Distributive Enterprise
- 6-Solving Housing
- Free - PDF of ebook Eterprise Manual. The Enterprise Manual only. The Coffee Table Book is a companion - eye-candy snippets of all that is otherwise found in the Enterprise Manual. For inspiration, we have standard copy which is more than enough to get people excited, and since coffee table is fluff - it is paid. But, we also release snippets of coffee table book so that it forms a complete email series for getting peoples' names to build a list.
- 2 - ~$50 hard copy book, provides $30/book net once set up. Value is solving housing series, or #6 - with thought leaders invited to special pieces. 12 top thought leaders, of which half are visionary and half are executing. It also pushes people to 4- education programs - the Summer.
- 2 - Online course, free to audit, $100 paid to grade it. Audit is free, but certification begins one on Open Source Architecture capacity. But paying to grade it is still $100/hr via automation - it's an online exam - and it produces designs for OBI. This is Enterprise Reversal, and serves to provide design assets to OBI. The exam is part questions, trained via neural net AI, part multiple choice (weak AI). But the really cool part is a design exercise, where by following the design language that we created, people submit designs. Thus, process qualifies people, and then produces value for the project. It is consistent with 1 - for collaborative design. 3 - exceptional designs can be built.
- 3, 4 - 1 Week house build, $1200. Free camping, otherwise get a hotel. Packed curriculum. Outdoor kitchen + bathroom built, recycles nutrients. The industry-standard Factor e Farm experience. Held monthly in a location of choice, for a 5 day experience.
- 3, 4 - $10k. House build package. Includes 1 week training, any number of times you like. We drop ship materials package to you, you do the build. We provide a remote quality control app, where you take a picture and it sends us an email support ticket. It provides basic AI answering service, followed up the chain as far as needed until a happy customer results. Live support. Image recognition AI tests for discrepancies, and is trained on sample data.
- 4 - Tech school. 3 month program intensive/residential for 12-24 students incoming class. Key is securing paying clients, at $3995. Cost is paid for by apprenticeship within this program, combining training with on-demand house build swarm in a paying location. We pay competitive, above market rates.
- 5 - Enterprise Training. We definitely cover as much collaborative training as possible. Essentially, management, with hands-on initially. Where you gain access to techniques for recruiting workforce, and you become the custom builder doing 4 houses at $25k net per year. First year - 2 houses. $9995 includes week hands-on, 2 weeks in the field, then some night school over the standard 40 hour/wk tech school training (3 nights per week, 2 hours seminar). Then you follow up with the 2 hour session every Friday, with weekly assignment. Think more exactly what this will look like.
- 6 - OSE Fellows track. Starts with tech school, follows up with Enterprise Training. Then the OSE Chapter track, focusing on Collaborative Development - if only first with the cohort.
- Summer X - residential and global - $10k/3 months. Each month: 3D printer UAxis, second month is tractor, third is housing.
Books, Education, Kits
Our product is education and kits.
Expandable, Reconfigurable House
He also confronts a country that is suffering from an ever-worsening pandemic, an ailing economy, racial injustice, and a climate crisis that millions refuse to acknowledge. - . We can build homes and create 1000s of jobs first year, go with solar hydrogen as a spinoff via the car-tractor-house-3d printer microfactory, recycle plastic for building materials.
- Owner-Builder side
- Tom's Shoes of housing side
- Solving housing
- Solving unemployment of clean energy workers (1/2 million) - 
- Extreme Enterprise Hackathon
- House Manual - solving for housing. See Extreme Enterprise Book.
- Coffee table book.
- Enterprise Training - see Seed Home 2 Enterprise Track
- Large 3D Printer
- High T 3D Printer
- Tractor and Microtractor
- Mowing and baling attachments
- Helical Pier Manufacturing
- Helical Pier Driver
See also another summary:
Keys To Success
Method to Products
- XE Hackathon
- Crowd development recruiting - for the Hackathon
- Hiring SMEs for XE Hackathon
Diagram of Overall Product Ecology
Diagram Towards XE Hackathon
- Promo Video
- House Support Package - supporting owner builders in building a 1000 sf house in one week for $50k + land.
- House Design - the extreme design of an optimized house that lends itself to Extreme Enterprise. Optimized for ease of build, quality, and cost via collaborative, open development - breaking the Iron Triangle.
- Hands-on Build Training - 1 week of actual build.
- Hackathon - takes product to the last mile of productization, thereby lending itself to large-scale, collaborative development. Large-scale dev can happen because effort does not require an overly-specialized skill set, and given the modular product design, many people can collaborate.
- Manual - the uber reference book, for entrepreneurs and builders
- Coffee table book - selling the vision of the product
- Helical piles manufacturing - lowering the cost of a critical element of the house.
- Auger Manufacturing - enabling low cost helical pier installs with a drive implement that can be mounted on a bobcat loader.
House Support Package
$2500 is the immersion build training + collaborative training. Part of the package is that we encourage collaborative development and collaboration training - that is part of what people are singing up for. If someone wants to build, we charge a $7500 service fee. The fee covers OSE support throughout the process - which includes customization, a permit package for the local building department, materials drop ship, remote quality control, a weekly live webinar for support on build questions, live support, help on finding land, help in hiring other labor or contractors, and providing a swarm build in select cases.
- Customization and Drop Ship - you select from our selection of house models that best suits your needs, and let us know what options, materials, finishes, and appliances you would like to use. We generate a complete bill of materials which details all parts for you, and you call in/submit the the order and pay, receive the shipment, and inventory the shipment. We work from a database of suppliers that meet our specifications.
- Permit Package - an exhaustive set of architectural drawings and details, calculations, and engineering approvals - and all foreseeable supporting information that a city that you can submit to your building department. This should cover 95% of cases - but if you are in a heavily-regulated environment with special conditions such as earthquakes, flood zones, hurricanes, special ordinances, special state or federal restrictions, or restrictive home owners' associations - we may need to extra work. We can support you in navigating this with our support services (online, live webinar, or live support). You are ultimately responsible for permit fees or any other fees associated with doing your build while navigating legal requirements of your building location.
- Remote Quality Control - using an app, you have an option to submit pictures of your build at different stages of the build, and we can verify that your build is proceeding correctly. We will inform you if there are any critical mistakes that you need to correct.
- 'Support. OSE staff is there to provide full support on any of the build process via email, live webinar, or calling our support desk. We will assign a personal Build Facilitator to each home builder. You can email us questions, and we go over the questions on a weekly live webinar. Or just call our help desk and we can answer any questions if you cannot wait for our weekly live webinar. You are entitled to unlimited support via email, you can participate in all weekly live webinars, and we can provide you with up to 10 hours of phone support
- Assistance on Finding Land. We help you with a webinar on How to Find Land so that you can learn what to look for and what to look out for. You can contact us with any questions that you may have.
- Community Support - We know that building a house can be a psychologically taxing project. We are here to provide the encouragement and community support to help you finish. Between our private Facebook Group and Discourse Forum, as well as the live weekly webinar, you have access to a community so you don't have to do it all alone. All the builders have access to a FB group to communicate and collaborate with other builders on any issues that come up throughout the build. The dedicated Forum for builders where you can discuss any technical issues and questions. The Forum is designed such that all content can be cross-posted to the wiki - so that design discussion can happen effectively using version control functionality of the wiki.
- Hiring Out Work - If you find out that you just don't have the time and energy to complete your build - we can support you on finding capable workers. Between using online recruiters, resources in your community, Craigslist, social media, ads, and our database of builder reviews - we can help you find someone that you can pay to build your house for you. This is part of the support package that we are creating to bring affordable, ecological housing to the world.
- Swarm Builds - Only in extreme cases. Using our swarm build model of rapid building, we can ultimately organize a weekend build event for your house if you are really stuck. We will be able to do this only for a small percentage of the houses (5%). We are developing relationships with affordable housing nonprofits to do this - such as Habitat for Humanity so that we can provide hands-on-deck in cases where most help is needed.
- I see your collection of house models, but I want a different design. How can I do that? You can select only from our collection of models of varying shape and floor plan. We customize these models for your selection of materials, floor finishes, and other options - and you can make your house as fancy as you like. You are paying for the materials - it's up to you how much or how little you want to spend. If you want a different design, then we can help you design a different model, but since that is much more involved that choosing from our options and customizations - we would charge you at standard rates for redesign. However, all the work that we do enters the public domain - so that by requesting a redesign - you are helping others if they choose to build the same design.
- I want a tinyhouse. How can I do that? You can go as small as 256 square feet with our house models. You will likely pay less for materials, otherwise all other costs and benefits of our package remain the same.
- I would like to build a larger home. How can I do that? We can support that as well. The materials cost, which you cover, will naturally be higher, and our service fee is $5k per any 1000 square foot addition.
- I would like to build a cluster of single and multi-family homes that is more like a small village. How do I do that? You can certainly use our system in the multi-home configuration - and we can help you do this. The service fee for this will depend on the size and complexity.
- I want to build a residential skyscraper. How can I do that? We are not set up to do that yet, as residential building codes and techniques that we cover go up to only 2 stories and an attic. but we are beginning collaboration with the open source Vivihouse project for designs that are up to 6 stories.
- I already have some building materials on hand that I want to use. Can I do that? We allow material substitutions as long as the substitution works and you are capable of making the material adaptations based on our explicit designs. If this can be done within the normal time budget of the We can help if you have the skills required to modify our designs to use your materials. Since you are responsible for the actual build - . We can help you within our support time budget - but if there is significant rework and redesign - you are
- Make me the equivalent of the Popup House video:
Build Product: the Easiest Build Possible
- We can focus on jigs and smart techniques for handling large loads. Simple conveyors using 3D printed bearings may be of assistance - to enable significant material handing in an easy way.
- Extreme effort needs to go into ergonomic optimization for the builder, as that will convert build projects into doable even with small people.
Incentives for Success
The Pitch: We provide materials, training, and support - for a 1000 square foot Seed House - that you can build with a friend - in one week - for US$50k . Just Bring Your Own Land. And be part of a movement that solves for housing without debt.
Transparency: Getting the Incentives Right. If our goal is to solve housing, how do we get the incentives right?
- Build Training - Success is up to the Owner-Builder. OSE provides proven technology, it's up to the Owner-Builder to learn the basics and to build it. This means getting hands-on skills. To this end, we provide a 7 day construction crash course at the OSE headquarters - where Owner-Builders build an entire house from scratch. This allows potential Owner-Builders to decide whether they are interested in our $50k Owner-Builder package. If someone does not gain the confidence during our immersion crash course - but still would like to build - they can take the crash course again - as many times as they need. We are offering unlimited free tuition for this. See the terms for this in the OSE Service Agreement. Come to our build training as many times as you like - until you are sure than you can do it.
- Open Source - If we even begin to claim that we are to provide impact with a fundamental solution - then open source collaboration is an absolute prerequisite. Further, it is a significant competitive advantage: there is on other collaborative, open source project for practical, affordable, owner-builder housing.
- Owner-Builder - (OB) We focus on re-skilling people in real production - and building a house is one of the most empowering, life-changing experiences that one can go through. For this reason - we want to make it easy for people to become Owner-Builders - and we mean Owner-Builders - not hiring out all the work. So that even with a full time work schedule - a person can afford the time to do the build. To this end - we require the weekend hackathon, and a one week of immersion build training. After that - we require that.
- Build Facilitator - the build facilitator is committed to the OB to make the house build as easy, inexpensive, high quality, and fast. The Build Facilitator provides the custom design to the OB's requirements - and provides the bills of materials that the OB then orders. The facilitators prepares a Building Package (designs, calculations, support materials) that the OB submits as part of the OB's permit/inspection schedule. The Facilitator provides all the support and answers all the questions that the OB may have. The facilitator facilitates any skills gaps by pointing OBs to resources, videos - or even encouraging them to attend another immersion build training session. And the Facilitator is empowered to organize a swarm build, to the small fraction of builders that need it most - about 1 in 10 - conditions permitting. The facilitator spends about a week doing the customization work. OBs can schedule up to 40 hours of facilitation time directly with the Facilitator, and can also consult with the OSE Product Manager on bigger-picture issues of product improvement. For any events that the Facilitator decides to run as a swarm build - these are featured on the OSE/OBI websites. If the OB wants to hire others to do the work for them - then the Build Facilitator will guide the OB in how to do that successfully by hiring others.
- Try it first - Before people commit to becoming Owner-Builders with us - we are offering the weekend hackathon, and a week of immersion build training - so that potential owner-builders can determine whether the build is for them. If so - they pay the $10k for our service - as part of the advertised $50k house cost. The first immersion training part ($2500) counts towards this $10k total.
- Full Control - the Owner-Builder (OB) is in charge, so no conflict of interest occurs. The Owner-Builder has full control of budget expenditures and build schedules. The OB decides what features to include, and therefore what the final cost will be. The Owner-Builder negotiates with local officials, and owns the project. OSE is there to provide the support.
- Owner Builder is in charge of the Budget. We provide the materials shopping list - you purchase materials on your schedule.
- Support to the Owner-Builder - OSE invests into continuing development. Revenue is put back into R&D to improve and expand the product. OSE wants to create growth opportunities so that customers stay for a lifetime - and where the relationship of a customer is flipped to a developer.
- Owner-Builders are Product Developers - We are designing an enterprise where Owner-Builders are involved in developing the product. We use mass collaboration to achieve the best product. We are open, so we invite everyone to contribute to development. The goal is clear: solving housing.
- Bring Your Own Land - you have the freedom to decide where you want to live. You own the land, you own the product. We train you and we support you in building the best house for your needs on your land. If you don't like the location or its regulations - it's your choice to find a more suitable spot.
- Low Cost to Owner-Builder - The program is designed to minimize costs for the builder. OSE provides a service, and that is to get the most effective and affordable house built. This includes good design for easy build using common materials. OSE's incentive is to solve housing. We provide the shopping lists - if you want to save money by finding alternate sources that meet specifications - or you want less features than in our standard package - you are welcome to do so. You decide just how much you would like to invest in your to build, and the materials cost changes according to your limits or extensions.
- Incremental Housing - Your fee covers a 1000 square foot house. You decide how fast you want to build, and what size you want to build. If you only have the need or resources for a smaller house, you can start even with any size up to 1000 sf, in 250 sf increments. For example, if you want a 500 square foot unit, your materials cost may be as low as $20k.
- Extra Options - there are various options that the Owner-Builder can select. The OB is in full control of these. OSE provides the support (bills of materials, phone support) for this.
- Entrepreneurship - To build in successful execution support of house builds - we are providing 6 month immersion training to entrepreneurs to provide the build support to Owner-Buidlers. If you take our entrepreneurship program - you can work with OSE, or you can go off on your own. OSE can provide you leads so that your training cost pays back for itself in less than a year. The entrepreneurship training involves participating in the build training at the OSE headquarters at least 3 times - first as a participant, then as an assistant, then as a lead instructor - to get certified as a fully-qualified instructor. The number of trainings is determined by the point that the entrepreneur candidate can run the full training successfully, for a complete build of a house in the 7 day build training session.
- Build Training - success is up to the Owner-Builder. OSE provides proven technology, it's up to the Owner-Builder to learn the basics and to build it. This means getting hands-on skills. To this end, we provide a 7 day construction crash course at the OSE headquarters - where Owner-Builders build an entire house from scratch. This allows potential Owner-Builders to decide whether they are interested in our $50k Owner-Builder package. If someone does not gain the confidence during our immersion crash course - but still would like to build - they can take the crash course again - as many times as they need. We are offering unlimited free tuition for this. See the terms for this in the OSE Service Agreement.
- Hiring Assistants - If you cannot do the build yourself - hire someone or get a family member to help. Train them, and have them produce the modules for you. Or send them to one of our build immersion training sessions so they can help with the build. We provide an extensive, expected to be 2000 page e-book manual, to all Owner-Builder candidates. This is our exhaustive text with all that we know - intended to assist in the building process. We want to make it easy for you to get help in the build, so you don't have to do it alone.
- Turnkey Build - if a potential OB finds that the build is not for them as a result of our immersion training - then there is the turnkey option. This is a turnkey house where OSE does the build. The charge in this case is $100k. OSE may host a swarm build around such a project, at OSE's discression, conditions allowing.
- Building is Complicated - After numerous builds, we understand that building a house - between finding land, navigating regulations, understanding good designs, doing the actaul build, or connecting utilities - can be a complex and intimidating process. But it doesn't have to be so inaccessible. We are here to help. If you have the support of someone who is on your side - the process becomes much more manageable. Clarity on building starts with understanding that a house is made of 5 things: foundation, floor, walls, roof, and utilities. We use state of art for the foundation: helical piers, and outsource this work. The rest are made of modules.
- Building is Hard - We understand that building is physically-demanding. That's why we are designing our modules to be easy to manage by 2 people. Our wall panels are 139 lb each, and our window panels are 211 lb each - so that no crane is needed. The heaviest lumber - 2x12s - are 66 lb each. We have a one-story design to make things easy - and a 2 story design for the more ambitious. We pay utmost attention to build ergonomics, where lifting is minimized by design, and by using support structures so anything heavy does not have to be held up - only put into place. Through our build experience, we have been working out build ergonomics so that our builds take the least effort possible - as we were personally involved in the builds and we know that to serve the customer most effectively - we must make it as simple as possible. We are not just architects - who do not prioritize build ergonomics - or just tradespeople - whose interest is as much work as possible. As both the designer-builder-user - we have learned to make builds cheap, fast, and quality - breaking the Iron Triange with open source collaboration. Further - we encourage outsourcing work - such as the helical pier foundation - and anything else if needed. There is the option of teaching others to help to make the build easier - with only entry-level skills needed. We provide the assistance of our documentation and build videos. And - for those who would find it most challenging to complete a build but have committed to it - we plan on offering help in the form of swarm builds where OSE runs a build workshop for the house build.
- Building is Expensive - $50k is no pocket change - but it is also at least 2x less than anything else available on the market. We understand that owning a house should be everyone's right - and that it shouldn't be expensive. So we provide optimized design - and let the OB optimize the budget further according to their needs. We also know that hiring skilled labor can be difficult or expensive. By lowering the skill level necessary - one can enlist build help at lower effort and cost if needed. See our build data for the total number of hours required - which currently we estimate at 300 hours of build time from material drop ship to move-in. We are designing for a build that costs under $10k in labor at $25/hr labor cost.
- Learning Community - Everyone working with us is part of an open learning community. If we find new things that work even better, faster, and cheaper - we make those options available to everyone else by publishing all our design openly. Every OB agrees that the custom design generated for them is open source - for the benefit of all. Further, each OB agrees that the outcomes of the build process are documented so that everyone can learn - about codes in a particular area, inspection schedule and inspection results, any troublespots - which can help others build more easily in the future. As part of a learning community OSE generates new designs for ever - such as for more advanced features: open source solar cars, hydrogen energy systems, nickel-iron batteries for off-grid operation, biodigester improvements, aquaponic greenhouse development, and extension to other building materials such as CEBs, 3D printed house materials, solar concrete, construction and materials production machines - and everything related to improving the build environment in an ecological way. OSE promises the participation of OBs in a much larger picture of making a better world.
- It takes time. We understand that building a house takes time. So we compress years of information on build optimization into something that can be executed - in only 1 week with 2 people (plus the weekends of module preparation). Each of our wall modules takes about 2 hours to build with one person - and there is 32 of them in the 1000 sf build. So this takes 8 weekends of 8 hours per weekend work - or 2 weekends if you can get 3 friends to help. We expect the total module preparation time to be - if solo - to take 24 weekends. Here's the Seed Home 2 Module Build Data - and Seed Home 2 Build Data.
- Solve Housing - this is a great imperative for OSE, and everything is filtered through this mission. As a public-interest organization, OSE does not allow for any scarcity-based business models in its operations. That means we are really working on solving problems, without creating artificial scarcity. Our goal is to solve for housing without debt. This means that we encourage others to replicate our work by publishing all of our designs and enterprise models openly. The more people that are doing this, the quicker we will house the world without debt. We are publishing all of our designs and enterprise blueprints online, so anyone can access them for free. Furthermore - we publish any designs and bills of materials that we generate for our customers, so that others can use them or learn from them. So what do customers pay for if our designs, and even custom designs, are available for free? Our goal is to solve for housing without debt. Our customers get a chance to change the world with collaborative design - dedicated to making the product simply the best that it can be, with no vendor lock-in. Our customers get hands-on build training - and personal build assistance at every step of the build from design submission to the building department until move-in. We also provide consulting on any other questions that may arise through the process. If someone just wants to download our plans and do it all on their own - we welcome them to do so - the more people building debt-free housing the better. And we also encourage replication of our business by anyone who would like to do that. We provide a 6 month dedicated program for this purpose - but if anyone wants to start a business on their own - we encourage them to do so just by studying our extensive documentation. The value we provide in our paid entrepreneurship track is rapid learning to get there. Our primary goal is to solve housing - so we collaborate openly to get there.
How to Define the Product
What does the customer receive? How do involve entrepreneurs in our customer base?
- For stakeholdership, we involve entrepreneurs who want a house - to guarantee proper execution incentive. Risk: good fit, so all customers are not freeriding. Solution: customers are vetted and onboarded.
- Training Fee is separate from House Facilitation Fee.
- Customer pays for materials
- Materials schedule is defined as a shipment schedule for partial completion, as one goes along. Multiple shipments mean additional shipping cost ($130 per 34 mile delivery to FeF as example from Menards (300 stores))
- We need to gurantee that our entrepreneurs stick around.
- Immersion training needs to assure technical skill:
- 7 day basic training - foundation, floor, wall, roof, interior wall, utility panel, bathroom
- 1 day foundation
- 1 day PV
- 1 day kitchen
- Monthly schedule - 2 sessions per month - 100 people each - for 5 months - for the first 1000 houses.
- First builds - people can start on modules after 3 months - the immersion period for entrepreneurs. $25k charge for entrepreneurs.
- Each entrepreneur gets $15k. Integration with OSE Certified Entrepreneurs - after 6 months fo
- 2 year overall delivery time
- OSE Contractors - charge them for 2 months of immersion
- OSE service - from the time of 3 months after Basic Entrepreneur Training.
- Each entrepreneur gets 10 houses for a year, 50/50 share of $15k. $75k.
- Each individual who builds benefits from OSE marketing to advertise a public Extreme Build - if the situation allows. This could allow the house to be built easily, and more finishing to be done.