Pressing World Issues
- 1 About
- 2 OSE Approach
- 3 Global Grand Challenges
- 4 Existing Pressing World Issues Efforts
- 5 By Country
- 6 Housing
- 7 Causes
- 8 Human Structures
- 9 Psychography of Macrosocial Phenomena
- 10 Universal Solutions
- 11 Prizes
- 12 Other Viewpoints of a Better Future
- 13 OSE Culture
- 14 Links
Systems inertia works by preserving the System as it is. Many well-intentioned individuals fail to approach the edge of the System sufficiently close to make actual change.
Any effort, from the open source ecology perspective, must include collaborative open source, and thus modular and Distributive solutions as the stated core. Time scales of change must be on the generation scale (about 2 decades) if required.
For the OSE Manifesto
For the Book, we can easily communicate the obvious things in society that everyone relates to, such as 8 people own as much wealth as the bottom half of civilization, that housing is expensive, etc. A survey of all of these would go on the Solving Pressing World Issues Forum of OSE.
- OSE uses the OSE 3 Step Process to solve pressing world issues.
- The OSE Forum provides a space for Action Research and Execution of Ideas Proposed.
Global Grand Challenges
- General ecocide (Whole World issue) - deforestation, desertification, loss of habitat, species die-off
- Disparity of wealth. High Gini Coefficient
- Labor Rights. Marxist theory must be updated to continuous learning. Ie, in the workforce, one has a full option to rise in responsibility, and thus set their own pay commensurate with their value. This is possible only in a collaborative system with aligned incentives of win-win situations. Today, there is a large class of non-learners, who are fodder for fascist manipulation.
- Democracy under siege - see Freedom House
- Fractional Reserve Banking with high leverage ratios providing for instability. Note that the Federal Reserve Reduced Reserve Requirements to Zero in 2021, making funny money completely baseless.
- Anthropogenic Climate Change
- High Cost of Living, preventing honest pursuit of Self-Determination by most people (a First World issue)
- Standing armies
- Enforced Mediocrity
- Political Ponerology, or promotion of evil within institutions
- Medicine for Profit
- Resource scarcity - water rights, clean air, clean food (Whole World issue)
- Patent system and other legal fictions for enclosing public knowledge
- Lack of public access to published journals. Solution possibility: cross subsidization or institution only pay for the service
- Limitation of liability (ie, fundamental unaccountability baked into the operation of enterprise) and the Agency Problem.
- Biodiversity loss
- Alienation from work (related to high Cost of Living)
- Access to healthcare
- Illiteracy, and especially collaborative illiteracy
- Innumeracy and Scientific Illiteracy
- Corporate funded research which encloses the intellectual output of public institutions
- Pollution, especially water pollution
- Corrupt institutions
- Economic system based on proprietary development as opposed to open source product development
- The Best and the Brightest as opposed to education
- Disciplinary thinking, as opposed to systems thinking which acknowledges that things are connected.
- Agricultural monoculture
- Fossil fuel energy instead of renewable energy
- Global supply chains via cost externalization
- Externalization of social, environmental, and lifetime costs
- Slavery, including wage slavery
- Consequences of Colonialism + Neocolonialism
- Insurance Racket
- Corrupt Officials and Bribes
- Racism, Unequal Access, and Redlining
- Excessive Incarceration
- Anomie, lack of self-esteem, lack of Character
- Addictions - to substances, sex, power
- Tariffs - the need for protectionism evaporates with access to open source technology and collaboration where everyone has access to productive capacity worldwide starting with their own communities.
Existing Pressing World Issues Efforts
- What are current mechanisms whereby the international community addresses evil building in certain countries? Are the measures reduced to sanctions, embargo, political pressure, transparency campaign? Could and should violence and coercion be used? Clearly after other attempts via gentler means (von Clausewitz). Open Source Legal Violence.
This is an entertaining take on the relationship between nature and the power flows of society. We think that this is a brilliant encapsulation of the human psychology that makes the world what it is today. In particular - that both the cause and the solution is within each of us - we have the ultimate responsibility, not some 'tyrant on high'. But be careful about this being Russian RT propaganda of disempowering people - distracting people from the fact there are deliberate and organized international crime networks that are responsible for significant impacts. What is the level of that impact? This video does not get into any of that.
- Open Source Hardware
- Universal access to education (upgrading the operating system in peoples' heads)
- Circular Economies
- Mass creation of right livelihood, unjobbing, and conversion of people from employees to entrepreneurial agents
- Open Source Product Development
- Ethical Economics
- Distributed Production - Distributed Manufacturing - and especially Distributive Enterprise
- Afforestation - planting trees. For example, transitioning from fossil fuels to biofuels can be accomplished by repurposing wasteland and other use to Integrated Polyculture biomass production
- Agricultural perennial polyculture
- Renewable energy
- Regenerative development of land
- Economics based on full cost accounting
- Building of (Renewable and self sustaining) Economies + Medical Systems + Infrastructure in Developing and/or Island countries, Or rural areas of ones that do not fit those prior conditions, yet face similar problems
- Unlimited Liability Company
- Termination of Public Offering which separates agency from the executive role, ie - enforces conflict of interest between owners and operators. (this is a longer discussion)
- Just Internet - for Web 3.0, we need to start considering libre hardware chips. The internet runs on hardware. That hardware is proprietary and non-transparent. Step 1 for an open internet is open source hardware for the internet. This way, there are no back doors, as you can examine what everything does.
- Biodiversity loss - solution at scale would be creating local microfactories and food systems to eliminate cause: resource predation. Secondary would be acquisition of desertified/destroyed/clearcut land and settling it with stewardship.
Solving pressing world issues is noble work. Here is a list of prizes that honors such work.
Other Viewpoints of a Better Future
- WEF prediction - 
OSE asks in its day-to-day - Are you solving your own problems, or are you helping others solve their problems? The correct answer is that by helping others solve their problems, you are also solving your own. Ie - altruism is ambitious.