The physical build goal of OSE is to produce a replicable city center, in the number of 30,000, in the form of an educational-research facility - the OSE Campus. There is no modern analogue of this, but it can be described best as a combination of existing institutions. It is a mash-up of the following:
- University - an institution of learning, except that quality education is provided to develop practical skills along with critical thinking ability. The explicit goal is to train people to transcend political ponerology and create a world that we all want to live in.
- Eco-Industrial Park or Factory - a center of ecological manufacturing, except by flexible fabrication, immersion hands-on training, and social production
- Farm - except not a factory farm, but a Factor e Farm - where we transcend norms and produce integrated, regenerative, polycultural ecosystems that enhance biodiversity and nourish its denizens.
- Space colony - an autonomous settlement except that it's on Earth, where infrastructure is built and maintained with few imports, but instead - with a predominance of local resources. Autonomous housing on a Dunbar's Number scale.
- You Tube Channel, News Station - in that it broadcasts its developments continuously to educate the public about its culturally creative work
- Sanatarium - where people are rejuvenated, driven sane, healed, and inspired to self-determination
The enterprise model for the above is based on productive enterprise that includes education and production, while developing 9 Forms of Capital.
The number 30k stems from the Number of Universities. We propose to meet the industry standard number of campuses - which is intended to create a significant capacity for regeneration. The total proposed area of 30M acres (1000 per camppus) out of 12 billion total is 1/4 of a percent. As such, this is doable - and could create the proposed points of light for more extensive global regeneration. A major question is building a team and organization to support this, which is a derivative of developing the Global Village Construction Set (GVCS) in that the enabling collaborative processes developed by building the GVCS - can be applied to the OSE Campus model.
The general infrastructure consists fo regenerative living and working space including housing, productivity, R&D, classroom, and farm infrastructure. The campus features eco-housing, renewable energy, flexible fabrication, and land stewardship aspects. The technologies used are appropriate, and are representative of the infrastructure that can be produced with the 50 GVCS Tools, such as bakery, ecohousig, hot metal processing, eco-cars, flexible fabrication workshop, or solar energy. The intent is a circular economy that can be replicated at other OSE Campuses.
Some Infrastructure Elements
- Infrastructure including housing, meeting and conference rooms, workshop area, microfactory, etc.
- Integrated polyculture community supported agriculture (CSA) and food store
- Open Source Nursery for perennial edibles and seed bank for seed subscriptions
- Solar concrete production
- PV manufacturing
- Hydrogen production and compression
- Steel recycling to structural and sheet steels with alloying
- Plastic and rubber recycling into pellets and 3D printer filament
- Internet utility
- Aquaponic greenhouse food production
- Stabilized CEB production
- Lumber and sawdust production
- Hay bale and strawboard production
- Wire drawing
- CNC automated manufacturing housed in an Open Source Microfactory
- Tractor and solar hydrogen car production
- Human hybrid vehicle production.
- Materials are abundant at a land-based facility. Valuable bulk products include: rock and gravel (shredder), woodchips (shredder), compost (shredder), hay, plastic, solar cement, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen
- Refined materials - lumber, PV, foodstuffs
- Biological enterprises - composting, batshit, biogas, and more.
See OSE Onboarding
The unique features of the OSE Campus is that the entire facility is effectively a complete working economy - which from an institutional transformation perspective - is effectively an experimental autonomous microstate. This means that on as little land as a 40 acre farm, though around 200 acres is preferred, a Dunbar's number of people (150 people being the average maximum number of people with whom a person can maintain relationships) can survive and thrive at a modern standard of living - completely from abundant local rocks, air, sunlight, plants, soil, and water. This is the BHAG experiment that we are pursuing. The curriculum, research, public workshop, and production activity at the OSE Campus will be designed to fulfill this goal, down to production of aluminum from clay and silicon from sand. OSE's goal is to achieve the first example of such a community by 2028.
Hallmark of OSE training is deep hunger for excellence: peak performance, increased flow state percentage, mind-body-spirit integration, health, raising the bar. The assumption taken is that this must be a proactive search and practice. Candidates should not say "Oh shit, that is demanding" - but instead be inspired by lifelong growth. Responsibility and lack of entitlement attitude are hallmarks sought in our candidates.
Seminal books spanning the full range of human wisdom stack the library:
- Great Classics of Western Literature - list is found in How to Read a Book
- personal mastery classics - Maslow, current work on Self Esteem, Napoleon Hill, seminal literature in marketing, deep understanding of Political Ponerology, General Semantics, NLP classics (Handler), Flow States (Cziksentmihalyi + current work), Tony Robins
- Health and Medicine, Soil and Health Library
- Applied skills in open source appropriate technology and OS product development.
- Partner with someone to provide 1000 acres
- OSE provides infrastructure construction and education curriculum
- Funder or Benefactor's reward is creating a place of future heritage that the person would want to live in
In other words, the concept must work with visible results executed efficiently. The only way that could happen is if the underlying technology is open source.
Specifics of Infrastructure
- 1 acre - Hydrogen fueling station with PV generation. PV generation is one acre - 400,000. 39.4 kWh for 1 GGE according to Hydrogen Production. THis means 400kW capacity yields 20 cars worth, with 6 gallons equivalent produced per day. That is, a covered acre yields support for 120 cars if all energy went to fuel.
- 10,000 sf - PV manufacturing facility for crystalline silicon solar cells. One production line.
- 1000 acres of chestnut, walnut, mammoth hickory, and hazelnut plantation, with perennial polyculture planting.
- Onsite biomass recycling for fertilizer and agriculture via vermiposting, biofilters, and algae, duckweed, fungi, chickens, and more.
- Foundry and metal rolling line - 8000 sf.