Metal Roller/Research Development
|Home | Research & Development | Bill of Materials | Manufacturing Instructions | User's Manual | User Reviews|
Research for the Metal Roller.
Tech Tree of Choices
Rolling can take several forms - no pun intended. Rolling of flat sheets is typical. Rolling of threads can likewise be done via heavy hydralics and thread dies. This appears to be a favorable process for threading due to its speed and accuracy.
- See thread rolling machines - 
- The alternative to rolling for threads is a screw machine, or a whirling machine - 
- It seems likely that the metal rollers will need to be carved out of large castings on a lathe in order to be smooth and solid. In order to avoid the need for a lathe during construction it might be possible to use the machine itself as an in place lathe by temporarily rigging the roller drive system for high speed and mounting a cutting bit. --Tristan Hume (talk) 03:59, 28 January 2015 (CET)
- search the wiki for metal rolling pages
- grab links from youtube, google, and wikipedia for relevant information.
- Classify metal rolling techniques
- identify industry standard designs/manufacturers
- evaluate designs against OSE Spec
- formulate design for CAD team
- This is a great introductory article on the design of roll forming machines by Chuck Summerhill of Roll-Kraft. File:Basic Roll Design.pdf